Guitar Masterclass August 8-12, 2022
I'll be teaching a one-week Guitar Master Class at the Fleming College Campus of the Haliburton School of Art + Design, August 8-12, 2022.
A hands-on guitar workshop on a variety of subjects based on over 40 years of playing experience:
- A Treatise On Tuning: tuning by ear vs. electronic tuners; equal tempered tuning; tuning to the key etc.
- How To Practise: 1/2 speed technique, the metronome, recordings and more.
- Nail Care for the Fingerstyle Guitarist; proper filing technique, polishing, acrylic vs. natural, fingerpicks.
- Flatpicking Techniques: Choosing a pick (they’re not all the same), pick angle, developing speed & accuracy.
- Capos: how to put them on properly, how to use them with another guitarist, partial capo’ing, high capoing
- The Magic of 1 & 2 String Altered Tunings
- The Great Guitarists of the 20th Century
- "Desert Island Albums" (Guitar Music That Changed My Life)
- Playing Together: students will pair up and prepare a piece to play together using the above techniques.
- Master Class: students of all styles are encouraged to prepare 2-3 pieces to perform for the group. These performances will be a springboard for discussion of performance anxiety, proper preparation, plus breaking apart the music itself, and finding ways of improving practising the pieces in order to take them to the next level.
Old Dogs, Same Trick (2022)
Old Dogs, Same Trick is just that: 2 old dudes "picking and singing in a family band" (to quote the great Jerry Jeff Walker). I produced and played on these songs for my very good friend Blake Papsin and we call it Old Dogs, Same Trick. The musicians on board include Kevin Breit, Burke Carroll, Robbie Grunwald, Drew Jurecka, Lyle Molzan, Maury LaFoy, Kathryn Rose and Meg Contini. It was mixed by John Bailey and mastered by João Carvalho. Very nice!
March 20th, 2020: Bruce Cockburn has been a tremendous inspiration to me from my earliest days of learning to play the guitar and sing songs. I'm excited to be joining some terrific musicians to celebrate Bruce's catalog at Toronto's venerable Hugh's Room.
This is my 19th year touring with tenor John McDermott. We've shared innumerable good times together on tour, in the studio and backstage. Next year is 20....